Due to the growth of the Westbury operation we have a vacancy available in our Senior Management team at Karaka offering the successful applicant the opportunity to join a progressive and motivated group of people at a world-class property. The successful applicant will report directly to the Head of Operations with key tasks including:
- Overseeing the day-to-day care of bloodstock, ensuring the highest industry standards are applied to the bloodstock's care, safety, and well-being.
- Lead the preparation of bloodstock for all sales, including the preparation plans for each horse, the organisation of each team, and assist with the recruitment of appropriate sales and prep staff.
- Lead and develop several varied teams and team leaders/managers across the farm.
- Maintaining up to date administration records on all horses, veterinary cases and comprehensive herd health databases.
- Oversee and allocate resources accordingly to ensure all aspects of stud routines are covered, including the handling of foals, weanlings, yearlings, stallions and broodmares.
- Teach and upskill staff - how to handle horses, lead, groom and care for the animals, following the Westbury standards and protocols.
- Monitoring the growth and development of young stock.
- Managing and working with the HOO or Team Leaders on feed regimes for horses, including altering feeds as appropriate.
- Maintaining animal health records, treating minor injuries and oversight of more serious conditions in consultation with Veterinarians.
- Greeting clients and updating them on their horses or providing information they request.
- Overseeing all areas of the farm to ensure they are kept in an orderly manner.
- Actively buy into the team and culture and work closely with the HOO on continuous improvement of all areas.
- Maintaining a high level of Health & Safety in all areas of the farm.
The skills and attributes that would contribute to your success in this role:
- Excellent horse skills covering stallions, broodmares, yearlings and weanlings with a broad knowledge of stock in general.
- Veterinary knowledge of common horse ailments and the ability to monitor sick/injured animals' progress without constant veterinary supervision.
- Exceptional ability in planning and organisation.
- Proven staff management, development and training.
- Strong leadership and influencing skills.
- Proven ability to drive a team forward to achieve the desired goals of the business.
- Ability to manage conflicts using emotional intelligence and create a win/win situation.
- The ability to demonstrate flexibility within the diverse responsibilities that the role requires.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills where staff care and experience are one of the core aspects of the role.
- You will thrive in a busy environment and undertake whatever is needed in the business's best interests.
- Have a strong work ethic.
- Have the ability to work under pressure.
- Have the ability to work well in a large, diverse team.
- Problem solver.
- Able to explain and delegate tasks in a responsible manner.
The successful applicant will have a passion for providing the utmost care, training and preparation of our stock with the adaptability to work across all facets of the Stud. Your enthusiasm, attention to detail, and strong work ethic will see you lead, motivate, and inspire your team. A minimum of 10 years in a senior stud position is required.
To express your interest in joining Westbury's Senior Management team at Karaka please send your CV and cover letter to our Vacancies team here.